Thursday, October 23, 2008

Quit Monkeying Around.....

Hey guys! Unload all that "Mental baggage" and listen up! I think that paying extra attention to your surroundings like in our actvity on tuesday might not relieve stress like she told us. It may help in that your mindset is shifted so that it pays closer attention to something else, but few can stay in this observant state forever. I can see where it might make you more stressful if you're in a bad enough mood, because then you start worrying about more than you can process, and the thoughts and emotions that are really bothering you are still stuck inside, buried beneath the outpour of observations. However, several times I have been taking a walk out the backroads at home and found my observations comforting. I like to observe things as I walk by. I don't think that was the point of the exercise, but I just thought I'd bring up this idea. What about you all? Did the exercise relieve any stress for you afterwards? Do you think that that style of writing can relieve stress?

I do think that the exercise was a good one. Just like Bafa Bafa, it helped me to realize that there are other ways of thinking, and that interchanging between them isn't too hard, and maybe I should try it more often. With Bafa Bafa, I needed to hang back and observe before entering a situation, and with this writing exercise, I also needed to hang back and observe instead of pouring all of my emotions out onto the page so that I could support them with details for the reader or listener.

No comments: