Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Last Post.....

What can I say about our class? I don't think that I could tell you all everything I want to say or discuss with you about. From the start, I felt this class was very strange, very different. I loved it, and I was very content with my decision to transfer out of my other DSP class (My army class), even though it did seem very interesting. :p You all made the class worthwhile, and so did our teachers. I felt like I could be open with each one of you, and that I could talk to you all about just about anything. Our teachers were also very understanding and showed us they cared about us daily by asking questions like 'How are you?' and saying things like 'Take care.' The projects were all fun and very...intense, Hahah. They came at us very fast. There was a lot of information to acquire and to learn. The SL project really showed me that I needed to step-up my game because our teachers grade hard, lol. But that's a good thing. It showed me that I needed to be thinking on a deeper level, and the only way to see on a different level is to expose yourself to different viewpoints. By intensive observation and research, they attempted to show us this. I always thought that I would be terrible at observation projects and that they would be impossible for me. I was surprised to find I could hold my own, with guidance from our teachers, of course. I feel that the projects were also very intriguing, and led us to questions that we could continue to solve throughout our years here at UK.
As Rupert mentioned, I have also advanced technology-wise by taking this class. This was the first time I had ever made a blog, or played an online sim (extensively). I enjoyed learning these things immensely, and I plan to keep my SL account and go in-world whenever I get bored and have nothing else to do, or I'm not facebooking, haha. (I just got one of those after coming here, too.) ~.~"

I like how we continued to follow-up on the readings. I feel like this has also given me a deeper understanding of the concepts presented in them. I haven't been used to doing this, and I like seeing the application of concepts that I have learned. For instance, Appiah's goals for cosmopolitan interaction (Which he insists is something we owe to others) to not only tolerate one another, but to genuinely seek to know and understand what others value despite our fears of looking ridiculous have been an integral part of the way I behaved in our class. And this was continuously brought up by group projects.
I wonder how different it would have been if we had been assigned groups? Maybe we would have felt too forced to exhibit this behavior? How does that tie in with my UK project thesis that language classes should enforce cross-language social experience? O.o
I think this concept of being obligated to understand difference will also come in handy when I go to Japan, hopefully this summer.

Everyone, please keep in touch!! ^.^

2 comments:

Reecie Foxtrot said...

So sad, last post... lol. Im so sorry that I didnt get to read your blog on time. I have been running off the wall since last weekend. But im pretty confident that you will be just fine ^^

I agree with many of the things you said in the class, and im going to miss the canopy we had in the class.

Keep in touch ok? Oh and thats for letting me borrow ur manga ^____^

-Reecie ^_^

Phoolendu Naidoo said...

Well done, I think we have all learned some things from this class, and the course readings added to that. I didn't get to comment on your blogs very often, but I did notice that they were well thought out. Good work and have a pleasant semester, this and next.